Home
RSS
About
Postrank
Tags
Contact
The Most Popular Traffic Exchange

10.04.2010

AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2011 Rewiew and Download

AVG's LogoThree days ago, AVG released AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2011. In the present case, the echo is good on Cnet. AVG AntiVirus Free Edition is one of the best free anti-virus softwares. I have knew AVG because AVG Anti-Spyware since four years ago.  AVG Anti-Spyware is the best anti-spyware software I have ever used. And from the beginning of 2009, it was integrated into AVG AntiVirus and Internet Security. If you are looking for a anti-spyware software, I suggest you must try it.
 
You can download from Cnet, or visit AVG homepage.  Here I’m  going to share the installation process and some new features to you. Note:  Internet connection is needed for the installation.
First, choose the language, it’s multi-language support.
Here we choose the free edition.
Next, I suggest that you choose "Custom Install", or you’ll get something needn’t to your computer.
Choose the folder and component to install. I didn’t choose E-mail Scanner and LinkScanner, as I’m Gmail user, like to access my email via web. In the case of LinkScanner, there’s already have AVG detection system inside opera browser. But LinkScanner is new to Edition 2011, It is worth to try.

Then it’ll start the download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 of the main program. It seems difficult to find a full installation package, so Internet network necessary. Package size is still bigger than many anti-virus softwares.
This is the main window of AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2011.  Identity Protection is a new component. It is constantly protecting your digital assets against unknown threats.
"PC Analyzer" is not free, but there’s no need to buy such service, you can use CCleaner to clean system, and IObit Smart Defrag could do the defragment job.
Do not feel strange to this ad banner, as a free edition, it has a long history:)

Summary:

After two days test, I’m very satisfied with it. Simple interface, unlike before version, few alert window could be seen; low cpu usage(but the RAM usage is a little higher than I expect on my computer). Overall,its performance is better than before.
Shortcomings:
  1. Software size is too big.
  2. No pupular "Game mode". Actually, it has this function, see the comment by Karel Obluk below.
I give four and a half stars to rate this software.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One minor comment - the tune up feature is actually available for free - one fix is completely free, you have to pay only if you want to use the product for an ongoing optimization

Karel Obluk said...

Game mode is available, only a bit hidden in the free version. Open Tools - Advanced Settings - and there it is, in the first page of Advanced Settings.
In the paid version, it is available from context menu on the systray icon

Unknown said...

@Anonymous I knew, but once free not have too much meaning to the ones want to find a free antivirus software.

Unknown said...

@Karel Obluk Thank you for remind me this. After all, I'm an ordinary user, I like the default options and they are good for most users.

Post a Comment